Uttarakhand, a state in the northern Himalayas often referred to as Devbhoomi (land of gods) due to numerous Hindu pilgrims offers so many beautiful places like Rishikesh, Haridwar, Dehradun, Nainital, Badrinath, Kedarnath, etc. Uttarakhand is also famous among trekkers, backpackers, mountaineers, and adventure lovers. There are a lot of trekking destinations in Uttarakhand some of them are Roopkund Trek, Dodital Trek, Rupin Pass trek, Valley of flowers trek, Brahmatal Lake trek and a lot more.
Here, we are gonna talk about the snow adventure, very famous among snow lovers- Brahmatal Lake Trek!!
Brahmatal is a lake situated in the Chamoli district in Garhwal Himalayas perched at the height of 12,000ft above sea level. The lake is covered with pristine white snow in winters and offers great panoramic views of other peaks.
Brahmatal Lake is an easy to the moderate trek of 24km which can be covered in 6-7 days. The terrain goes from easy to moderate as you climb higher. The trek starts from Kathgodam- a small town cradled in the banks of Gaula River, perched at an elevation of 1,817ft above the sea level in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand. You have to drive from here to the basecamp of Brahmatal lake trek i.e. Lohajung.
Lohajung is a small village in Chamoli District in Garhwal Himalayas and serves as a basecamp to so many treks like Roopkund trek, Bedni Bugyal. During the trek, you will be pass by so many quaint villages and get a chance to explore the life of locals, their culture, lifestyles, and hardships. As you gain altitude, you will leave all the civilization behind. The trail will be pass through dense & thick forests of oak, rhododendrons to snow-covered meadows. Camping near the Bekaltal lake will excite you to climb high for great views.
Brahmatal Lake offers astounding views of Mt. Trishul, Nanda Ghuti Peaks and Nanda Devi Sanctuary.
Pitch your tent near the frozen lake surrounded by tranquil forests and high Himalayan peaks will give you a lifetime experience. Capture the fantastic view of the frozen lake with a backdrop of snow-capped mountains.
Best Season to visit:
The best season to undertake this snow adventure is in the months of mid- December to mid-March. The region receives heavy snowfall and the temperature in winters goes to 3 to -4 degrees in the night and in day 3 to 10-degree celsius. In summers, the weather remains pleasant and nice you will listen to the sounds of the forests and chirping birds. Both seasons are good to visit totally depends upon the trekker.
- High altitude summit at 12,250ft
- Magnificent views of Mt. Trishul and Nandi Ghunti Peaks
- Snow trekking and camping near-frozen lake.
- A walk through quaint villages rich with flora and fauna
Who can go on this adventure:
- Brahmatal Snow adventure can be done by experienced as well as beginners (if they have an interest in trekking and mountaineering).
- The climber should be fit and have good stamina.
- One should be carry a minimum weight of 8-10 kgs while trekking.
- People with asthma, heart problems, high blood pressure are advised not to undertake this adventure.
By road: Kathgodam is well connected by major cities. You will get a bus from Delhi to Kathgodam. Buses are available on a regular basis from Delhi to Uttarakhand.
You can also book a deluxe, AC Volvo or private taxi from Delhi to reach Kathgodam.
By rail: The nearest railway station is the Kathgodam railway station. There are numerous trains available to Kathgodam from major cities like Delhi, Lucknow, and Kolkata, etc.
By Air: The nearest airport is the Pant Nagar Airport which is 34 km away from Kathgodam. You can easily get a direct flight from Delhi.
Some travel tips:
- Bahmatal lake is a high altitude trek, mountain sickness is common issue. Take adequate breaks and keep yourself hydrated.
- If you are a beginner, plan this trek with an experienced trek leader
- Do exercise and yoga daily 2 weeks prior before to trek. You will keep your lungs strong and exercise will make your body flexible.
- Always carry minimum weight.
- Carry a water bottle and eatables like chocolates, energy bars, etc.
- Do not wander alone and always listen to your trek leader.
Brahmatal trek is set in the laps of the Himalayas. It is one of the classic winter treks in Uttarakhand. According to some mythological facts, this lake is a place where Lord Brahma has said to have meditated for several years.
Brahmatal Lake trek is full of adventure and challenges. In winters, it is considered a hidden gem in the Himalayas.
Some of the great memories of Brahmatal trek you can only make in Winters. You will get awestruck by the beauty of the place. Plan your next snow adventure to Brahmatal Lake. Admire the winter scenery and feel snow all around.
Live. Travel. Explore!